For the past 20 or so weeks, I’ve been telling myself that we really didn’t need anything for little #starrbabycinco. We have a basement full of baby gear/clothes leftover from the other kids AND several generous friends have gifted us with many of the things I could recall giving/throwing away. Of course, there were a few items that just no longer worked, after sustaining the wrath of 4 Starr kids and 1 sweet niece, so I knew those would need to be replaced. But, overall, I really didn’t think there was much that was needed/wanted for this little bundle. I mean, if there’s one thing I’ve learned from mothering many littles, it’s that you just don’t need much.
Except you do.
The basics and necessities tend to add up quickly (& can be overlooked!) — a realization I came to last week, as I had the opportunity to wander through Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby, sans children (yes, it was glorious). Honestly, I went into Babies R Us just wanting to take advantage of their “Trade In” program to get a new travel system, but came out with so much more (in list form, of course — I’m not an impulsive buyer).
Duh! I had totally forgotten about things like pacifiers (I used to have a whole drawer full!), nursing supplies, receiving blankets, etc. This “oversight” on my part brought on a lot of new anxiety.
If I forgot about these things, what else am I forgetting about?!?
Before when I was having babies, we were “in the groove.” Baby care was second nature. We just knew what to do. But now? Well, now we’re out of practice and my only prayers are that: 1. having a baby is like riding a bike and 2. Jesus shows up in a big way.
Deep down I just know: 1. It is. And 2. He will.
In an attempt to organize myself (& mentally prepare my handsome husband), I’ve started a list of Needs, Wants, and To-Dos Before Baby. My intention is just to get a few things here and there, then hopefully by the time #starrbabycinco makes her appearance in 10 or so weeks (give or take — YIKES!), we’ll be ready — physically, mentally, and emotionally!
So, here it is: My Lists of Needs, Wants, and To-Dos that is ever-changing!
- A BABY NAME!! Unfortunately, this is the only thing we can’t purchase…the search continues.
- Single Jogging Stroller
- Pacifiers — we’ll likely go with our tried and true Nuk Pacis, but I’ve always been intrigued by the WubbaNub things.
- Baby Bathtub — I haven’t decided if this is really even on the NEED list. Or on any list at all. We got rid of our piece ‘o crap bathtub after Camden was born and never replaced it for Kaiah. She got her baths in the kitchen at first, then went straight to the big tub.
- Buuut, I when I saw this little bath support thing, I thought it might be helpful??? I don’t know.
- Nursing Supplies (nursing pads, cream)
- Nursing bras/camis — really wishing I would have kept mine from when I had Kaiah, but those are long gone and I’m on the hunt for the perfect bras/camis. And by “perfect,” I mean: form fitting and long so they go well under clothes, but not so tight that they’re uncomfortable. Too much to ask? I hope not.
- Gifts for big brother/sisters — just something little for each kiddo to give them at the hospital. I still remember when I was 9-years-old and my youngest brother was born, my parents gave me the Whitney Houston tape and I LOVED it! I’m sure the “gift” of a sibling would be enough, but I want them to feel extra loved during this time. Ya know?
- Feminine Products — I really don’t want to have to think about this, but then again, I don’t want to NOT think about it and have to send the hubs out in search of what I need once home from the hospital. I think he’d appreciate that, too.
- Bottles/milk storage — I have some Medela bottles/storage containers left over for pumping, but I just need to take an inventory, then organize/clean them all. Come to think of it, I’m sure we have plenty, but might have to search Camden’s closet for all her “doll supplies.”
- Going Home Outfit — Now, THIS is the purchase I don’t mind making at all! I do have a few requirements for the perfect going home outfit: easy, comfortable, and CUTE!
- Sibling Shirts — I’ve always done this for the kiddos in the past and have an idea for what I want this time around, but now I just need to make it happen.
- Blankets — Around here we tend to use baby blankets for everything — burp cloths, spit-up rags, swaddling, etc. I’ve been eyeing some of these super cute Muslin blankets, and thought they might be perfect for this summer when it’s hot, but baby still wants/needs to be swaddled.Want:
- Crib Bedding — the baby will likely sleep in the co-sleeper in our room for several months, but we’ll get the crib set up (probably in Cami’s room??) so that we can start incorporating naps in there once we get in a routine. Our current girl crib bedding is now 9-years-old and, not only does it look outdated, it is faded and doesn’t match the “color scheme” in Camden’s room at all. I’m thinking I’ll looking for a blanket/quilt that I love, then some mix & match, generic crib sheets. I’ve been scouring Etsy and am drawn to quilts like these:
- Fisher Price Rock ‘N Play — Still undecided on this one, but everyone I talk to has wonderful things to say about them…including my buddy Molly at Silly Cyclone.
- Ergo — I scored an awesome deal on this used Petunia Pickle Bottom Ergo and am stoked about using it!New Boppy Cover — the one we have is icky looking…and blue.Ju Ju Be Diaper Bag — I have a pretty great coupon to use on this prettttty thing. Now, I just need to pull the trigger.
- Client Editorial Calendars, etc. — Work stuff. I don’t anticipate having trouble keeping up with my work while in the hospital or those first weeks home, but I do want to have everything ready. J is pretty “in-the-know” when it comes to the workings of my business/clients, so I am confident he’ll be able to handle things, if need be.
- Carpets Cleaned
- Freezer Meals Made
- Fireplace Built-Ins Finished — We’re super excited to have T & E Construction get this project going for us. We’ve been talking about it for a while now, so it’ll be fun once it’s DONE! We’re thinking it’ll look a little something like this, with the TV mounted over the fireplace:
- Buy end-of-the-year teacher gifts — this is something that always sneaks up on me and stresses me out anyway, so with a newborn? It just might not get done. We don’t do anything big or over-the-top, but I do like our kiddos’ teachers to know how much we’ve appreciated them throughout the year.
- Wash/organize all clothes (figure out where to put them all!!) — I’ve started washing, but there is still LOTS of sorting to be done…not to mention, figuring out where to put everything. I don’t have a problem getting creative, but it’s just taking the time to brainstorm and get.it.done.
- Make sure pump is working/clean
- Pack Bags — I’m somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to my hospital bag, but there are several things that I know I’ll need/want. I hope to make a list here soon and will probably plan on packing somewhere around 35/36 weeks.
- Clear Camera — Just need to make sure I have plenty of space on my DSLR & phone to play paparazzi with my littlest love. Because ya know it’s going to happen.
- Big Sam’s Club Run
Whew! It feels good to get this list out of my head and on paper the interwebz. Clearly, we have some shopping/planning/organizing to do, but now we have a good place to start and can check things off as we go!